As a Florida sign contractor, obtaining a license is an essential step toward operating your business legally and effectively. A sign contractor license is a document that allows you to work on outdoor advertising structures, including billboards and commercial signs.
To obtain a sign contractor license in Florida, you must meet certain requirements set forth by the state`s licensing board. These requirements include:
1. Experience: To qualify for a sign contractor license, you must have at least 4 years of experience working in the sign industry. This experience must be completed within the 10 years prior to submitting your application.
2. Education: You must complete a minimum of 16 hours of approved education courses in order to obtain your license. These courses should cover topics such as business practices, sign codes and regulations, and safety.
3. Insurance: You must have liability insurance with a minimum coverage amount of $100,000 per occurrence and $300,000 in aggregate.
4. Bonds: You must obtain a $5,000 surety bond from a bonding company licensed in Florida.
5. Application and Fee: You must submit an application and pay the required fee to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Once you have met these requirements and submitted your application, you will need to pass a written exam to obtain your sign contractor license. This exam covers topics such as business and finance, safety, and sign installation.
It is important to note that in Florida, a sign contractor license is only valid for one year and must be renewed annually. In order to renew your license, you must complete 4 hours of continuing education courses and pay the required fee.
In addition to the state requirements, some Florida cities and counties may have their own licensing requirements for sign contractors. Make sure to research the specific requirements for the area in which you plan to work.
In conclusion, obtaining a sign contractor license in Florida requires a combination of education, experience, insurance, bonds, and passing an exam. Meeting these requirements is essential for operating your sign business legally and effectively in the state.